To surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
The vision of CIS of Ohio is to be the “go to” organization to address non-academic barriers to academic success and to provide drop-out prevention supports.
Whether it’s food, school supplies, health care, counseling, academic assistance or a positive role model,
Communities In Schools is there to help.
Students are dropping out of school at alarming rates.
Students who drop out are more likely to earn thousands less in salaries, live in poverty, suffer poor health, enter the criminal system and be dependent on government and social services.
The cost to our community and country is billions in lost revenue.
Often, a student’s personal circumstances disrupt their chances at success even before they enter the school building.
In the U.S., approximately 1 in 5 children under the age of 18 live in poverty, shouldering more than they should have to.
Communities In Schools works directly inside schools, building relationships that empower students to succeed inside and outside the classroom.
- We understand that students face challenges both inside and outside the classroom.
- We work to remove the barriers that prevent them from reaching their full potential and ultimate academic and personal success.
- We partner with schools and parents by placing a full-time dedicated site coordinator in a school, identifying kids at risk of dropping out and not graduating, or have needs like those above.
- We partner with local businesses, social service agencies, health care providers and volunteers.
- We connect programs, services and resources to students in need, keeping them in school and on a path to life-long success.
Our unique, evidenced based model positions site coordinators inside schools to assess students’ needs and provide resources to help them succeed in the classroom and in life.