Whether it’s food, school supplies, health care, counseling, academic assistance or a positive role model,
Communities In Schools is there to help.
Students are dropping out of school at alarming rates.
Students who drop out are more likely to earn thousands less in salaries, live in poverty, suffer poor health, enter the criminal system and be dependent on government and social services.
The cost to our community and country is billions in lost revenue.
Often, a student’s personal circumstances disrupt their chances at success even before they enter the school building.
In the U.S., approximately 1 in 5 children under the age of 18 live in poverty, shouldering more than they should have to.
Communities In Schools works directly inside schools, building relationships that empower students to succeed inside and outside the classroom.
- We understand that students face challenges both inside and outside the classroom.
- We work to remove the barriers that prevent them from reaching their full potential and ultimate academic and personal success.
- We partner with schools and parents by placing a full-time dedicated site coordinator in a school, identifying kids at risk of dropping out and not graduating, or have needs like those above.
- We partner with local businesses, social service agencies, health care providers and volunteers.
- We connect programs, services and resources to students in need, keeping them in school and on a path to life-long success.
Our unique, evidenced based model positions site coordinators inside schools to assess students’ needs and provide resources to help them succeed in the classroom and in life.
A message from our Executive Director, Amy Gordon
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Partnerships at Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
Board Vice Chair
Enterprise Sales Manager
Vice President, Investment Advisor
Global Head of Customer Experience
and Enterprise Services
Wendy Sherman Heckler, PhD
Immediate Past Chair
Provost & Senior Vice President,
Academic Affairs Division,
Senior Vice President
Ice Miller LLP
Coordinator, State and Federal Programs
South-Western City Schools
Ethics and Compliance
SVP, Enterprise Insights
Jennifer Mundorf SPHR
Manager, Talent Development
Vice President Corporate Risk
Huntington National Bank
Dennis M. Sparks, Jr.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Director
Americas at Dr. Martens – Airwair International, Ltd.
Senior Vice President
Recognized for its sound business practices and financial transparency, Communities In Schools continues to attract the support of a diverse group of partners, even during tough economic times. We wish to acknowledge all who have supported our work, here are some of our most ardent supporters.